News Director/Multimedia Production Tech Position
Job Title: Director/Multimedia Production Tech
Posting Dates: Aug 23-Sep 6, 2011
Station: WHNT-TV Huntsville, AL
Reports to: News Director
Purpose/reason for this Position:
WHNT NEWS 19, the CBS affiliate in Huntsville, Alabama, has an immediate opening on for a full-time Associate Director/Multimedia Production Tech. The successful candidate will have the ability to manage, motivate, and lead staff during fast-paced, graphics intensive newscasts with multiple live elements.
WHNT NEWS 19 has all brand new HD equipment – Ross Overdrive, VizRT, Vinten Robotic cameras and a state-of-the-art HD studio. In addition to directing, the successful applicant should have strong computer skills, the ability to multi-task and make sound judgments during live broadcasts. Hours will vary and will include early mornings, nights, weekends and holidays.
Core Job Functions:
- Direct weekend morning newscasts and fill-in during weekday newscasts as assigned.
- Directors have to fill-in on all aspects of production and train new employees on those job functions; skills necessary include running audio, camera, graphics, prompter, shooting video and non-linear editing.
- Field Production: Ability to direct using remote production equipment. Ability to supervise and coordinate field production crew.
- Lighting: Knowledge of studio lighting techniques.
- Web Posting: Post video and text content to station’s website, Twitter and Facebook accounts.
- Editing: Assist with editing for newscasts (Final Cut Pro experience preferred).
- Photojournalism: Shooting video and sound in the field or in station on an as-needed-basis.
- Newsgathering: Assist newsroom personnel with law enforcement beat checks and/or making calls to gather information before and between newscasts.
Minimum Knowledge Skills & Abilities:
Experience operating and/or ability/willingness to learn how to operate the following equipment and computer programs: Ross Overdrive, Wheatstone Audio Board, Vinten Robotic cameras, VizRT graphics, Adobe Photoshop, and/or other similar equipment and systems. Aptitude to learn other technically advanced equipment. Excellent spelling and precision attention to detail a must! Must possess a valid State Driver’s License. Good communication skills and team-centered mindset.
A college degree in Television Production, Communications or related-degree is preferred. Also prefer candidates with at least one year production experience in a commercial television station.
Dexterity to operate production and photography equipment; including, but not limited to all audio equipment, studio/field cameras and computers. Should be able to do light lifting and climb a ladder to change studio lights, if needed. Must be able to handle stress of a fast-paced, dynamic environment while remaining calm, communicate clearly and make split-second decisions.
INTERNAL CONTACTS: EXTERNAL CONTACTS:
Directors Station Guests
Other members of production team Customers (our viewers)
Producers Police, Fire, Emergency Dispatchers
Interested parties should submit resume and references to Maxie Justice and David ‘Tater’ Terry, Supervising Directors, WHNT-TV, 200 Holmes Ave., Huntsville, AL 35801 256-533-1919, or email email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHNT-TV Is An Equal Opportunity Employer